British values is now part of the primary curriculum, there is no better way to teach ‘tolerance and respect’ than through your primary language sessions.
We live in a diverse and wonderful world, rich with other cultures and languages and this should be celebrated, use your primary language sessions to teach children about this and to respect other people’s beliefs and views.
Here are some ways you could do this:
- taste food from other countries
- learn about festivals from around the word e.g. Chinese New Year, Diwali, Christmas in other countries
- learn to say ‘hello’ in other languages
- write a letter to child in another country asking them about their lives
- make a hand of friendship for a child in another country
- have a skype call with a partner school overseas
- have a celebration day, celebrating other cultures and languages
Over to you, do you have any ideas to add?
L is 4 Learning
Teaching Primary languages with confidence